justin and college

This area is for general non-family specific postings.
aaron

Post by aaron » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:49 pm

QUESTION: ARE THERE ANY SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD, OR ACCOMPLISHMENTS YOU HAVE REALIZED, THAT HAVE HELPED TO DEFINE YOU AS A PERSON?

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.
----------
Aaron Drabeck
Drabeck Solutions
702-343-0179
aarondrabeck.com

-IcE-

Post by -IcE- » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:19 pm

here is my final one
Goodman, Justin
563-85-0874

18252 Vintage St.
Northridge CA. 91325

Death, taxes and a college education … taxes and a college education are inevitable; death is a matter of perspective. Architecture is an art form that allows its artist to leave a lasting impression on humanity. It is not only art, but also a practical form of expression, providing society with a home. This career allows me to give back to the planet, and make society a better place. A strong college education is the only way for me to peruse this career and accomplish my goal.

My interest in pursuing architecture stems from many factors. I have been exposed and captivated by architecture through my uncle, an architect in San Francisco. Following the Northridge earthquake in 1994, my home was severely damaged. Observing its repair I was exposed to the true task of an architect. This exposure has compelled me to go to college, giving me the opportunity to become the architect for others.

Yesterday’s architects were influenced by history just as I will be. However, yesterday’s architects lacked the ability to collaborate with each other in real time on a current design. Robotics, a class which I have taken for the past two years, has taught me how teamwork and collaboration can operate successfully. These are skills which I hope will help me in college and, later, in an architectural firm. With today’s technology we have the capability to send a message or transmit a thought halfway around the world more easily and more quickly than a trip to the corner market.

My interest in computers and in design tools has focused my career goals. I have developed this interest into a strong base of skills. Attending a local community college provided me with experience in CAD. Obtaining more college level drafting experience, combined with my artistic creativity, will provide me with the tools necessary to compete on the highest level. Additionally, I attended Gnomon, a private school, where I trained in visual communications and three-dimensional modeling. Without college I cannot use these tools to their full potential, nor will I be presented with the opportunity to experiment with new instruments of design.

Located in a beautiful rural area, the University of Oregon came up first in all of my college searches. Additionally, the small student-to-teacher ratio is something that is extremely important to me. Coming from a school of about 4,000 students, and class sizes of more then 40, I feel that I will do exponentially better with a more individualized education. The fact that current day architects, as well as my uncle, respect the University of Oregon is another definite advantage.

I want to go to college to be the best architect I can be. I hope to live on through the designs of my buildings. With the creation of such monumental structures, I will evade death.

Jill

I like it

Post by Jill » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:20 pm

I like it, I like it!!!!!
DId you send it in?
Jill

Judy

college time

Post by Judy » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:18 am

Goes in the mail on Monday. We corrected the typo tho. Peruse to Pursue. Now we wait.......

Jill

Good luck Justin

Post by Jill » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:35 pm

My fingers are crossed for you. When should you find out if you are excepted?
Jill

Scott

Looks good!

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:58 pm

So when are you moving to Oregon?
[img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/typing_to_the_beat.gif[/img] ...what you read is not a test I'm typing to the beat... [img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/moving_snake.gif[/img]

-IcE-

Post by -IcE- » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:41 pm

i ahve to call them tomarrow... i need to find out if i can go to the regualr school for a year then re-apply to the school of architecture, i got a papmphlet in the mail that requires me to create a large portfolio including 3 letters of reccomendation 2 of which come from teachers.... since i have been on break and then building robots all day... it is difficult to complete...so tomarrow i call and find out if i can either change my declared major to something else then change back in a year... or what i need to do.

Scott

Try NOT to have to change major.

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:25 am

Going in undeclared or changing is a LAST resort. This is because they have minimum grade requirements to do it. It is easier to get in at first than to change. Why risk it?
[img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/typing_to_the_beat.gif[/img] ...what you read is not a test I'm typing to the beat... [img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/moving_snake.gif[/img]

-IcE-

Post by -IcE- » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:27 pm

i called them and asked how to go about the process... the admissions lady told me that about 90% of the portfolios/pamphlets do not get turned in and if accepted then you apply for the next fall semester...appearently they only send them out once they get a full application filled out... and since both deadlines are the same, some people dont even get the oppurtunity...