justin and college

This area is for general non-family specific postings.
Judy

justin and college

Post by Judy » Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:19 pm

If you are reading this and have not done the draft for University of Oregon........this may be a shorter vacation for you! If you are Scott and Jill and are reading this and Justin has not done his essay, you may be kicking him home shortly. The alternative is to tie him to the computer and not let him snowboard until it is done. Tomorrow is Christmas and I expect a rough draft waiting for me!!!!!!
The "mean mom" who loves her son and wants him to have a choice of colleges.

Scott

Here it is so far.

Post by Scott » Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:36 am

Here is Justin's Essay so far, I found it on the desk top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/typing_to_the_beat.gif[/img] ...what you read is not a test I'm typing to the beat... [img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/moving_snake.gif[/img]

Judy

Congratulations

Post by Judy » Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:49 am

that is a good start.

Scott

Here is the final version I helped him.

Post by Scott » Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:36 am

In an age wid some lack uh jobs, and increase in cost uh livin', college becomes some necessity. Slap mah fro! Findin' jobs be a dauntin' tax', findin' some solid carea' is even mo'e difficult. Widout havin' some college educashun, it may even be seen as mos' impossible. What it is, Mama! To survive in today's society it be necessary t'gots' some career. Ah be baaad...

Wid de steady increase in un-employment, dose who lack educashun and 'espuh'ience are left hangin'. Havin' some high farm diploma gots'ta only git ya' as far as havin' some job. Sheeeiit. It be de secondary educashun dat kin provide someone wid de oppo'tunity t'excel.

Addishunally, many uh today's carea' oppo'tunities are bein' sent t'oda' countries. De wo'k dat be still available be only fo' dose dat gots' acquired da damn educashun t'compete wid technology, and economics. Architecture be a skill dat requires creativity and dedicashun, bod uh which current technology lacks. Economically, it be difficult fo' some consuma' to communicate t'an architect in some fo'eign country, makin' architecture some solid choice fo' some stable career. Ah be baaad... To obtain masters in architecture, college educashun be necessary, and goin' t'a farm dat be accredited, and recognized by current day architects be a definite advantage. What it is, Mama!
[img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/typing_to_the_beat.gif[/img] ...what you read is not a test I'm typing to the beat... [img]http://www.kraftfam.com/images/moving_snake.gif[/img]

Judy

general

Post by Judy » Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:42 am

Hey, this one is really good!!!!! I like it much better than the first. Is this so that he can get admitted to U of O or ?
How is your Christmas? Did you get lots of good gifts? I have not heard yet what Justin made for you for dinner. I will call later. Thanks for sending the essay, any cell phone yet?

Judy

Gaby's suggestions for essay (I concur)

Post by Judy » Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:31 am

In an age with a lack of jobs, and AN increase in THE cost of living, college becomes a necessity. Finding jobs is a daunting task,CHANGE TO A SEMI-COLON(?) finding a solid career is even more difficult. Without havingDELETE THE “HAVING” a college education, it may even be seen as almost impossible. To survive in today’s society COMMA it is necessary to have a career.
With the steady increase in un-TAKE OUT THE HYPHEN employment, those who lack education and experience are left hanging. Having a high school diploma will only get you as far as having a job. It is the secondary education that can provide someone with the opportunity to excel.
THE SECOND PARAGRAPH SAYS ALMOST THE SAME THING AS THE FIRST. YOU NEED TO DIFFERENTIATE THEM. PERHAPS YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE JOB VS. CAREER IDEA – I.E., COLLEGE WILL LEAD TO A CAREER RATHER THAN JUST A JOB, AND THAT YOU, PERSONALLY, WOULD BE HAPPIER WITH A FULFILLING CAREER RATHER THAN JUST A MEANINGLESS PAY CHECK. I WOULD DEFINITELY USE THE SECOND PARAGRAPH TO TALK ABOUT HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT COLLEGE, SINCE THE QUESTION ASKS YOU TO WRITE ABOUT YOURSELF.
Additionally, many of today’s career opportunities are being sent to other countries WHAT DOES THIS HAVE YO DO WITH YOU??. The work that is still available is only for those that have acquired the education to compete with technology, WHAT DOES “COMPETE WITH TECHNOLOGY” MEAN? and economics. Architecture is a skill that requires creativity and dedication, both of which current technology lacks WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? TECHNOLOGY CAN’T LACK DEDICATION. OR, RATHER, IT DOES AUTOMATICALLY BECAUSE IT IS NOT HUMAN. BUT WILL COLLEGE SOLVE THE HUMAN VS. MACHINE DILEMMA? Economically, it is difficult for a consumer to communicate to an architect in a foreign country, making architecture a solid choice for a stable career. To obtain masters DEGREE in architecture, A college education is necessary, and going to a school that is accredited, and recognized by current day architects is a definite advantage. THIS FITS MANY COLLEGES. TALK ABOUT YOURSELF AND WHY YOU WANT COLLEGE TO HELP YOU BE AN ARCHITECT. IN OTHER WORDS, BE SPECIFIC. DON’T SPEND SO MUCH TIME ON GENERALITIES. INSTEAD, PUT THIS IN FIRST PERSON AND TALK ABOUT HOW COLLEGE WILL HELP YOU BECOME AN ARCHITECT. MAYBE YOU COULD FOCUS ON YOUR DREAM PROJECT – BE IT A HOUSE LIKE FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT’S FALLINGWATERS OR A SKYSCRAPER TO REPLACE THE TWIN TOWERS OR A BRIDGE OR A RETREAT FOR YOURSELF OR WHATEVER, AND DISCUSS HOW COLLEGE WILL HELP YOU GET THERE.

1 – WHY I WANT TO BE AN ARCHITECT (BE SPECIFIC)
2 – WHY I CAN’T BE AN ARCHITECT WITHOUT COLLEGE
SINCE THE QUESTION ASKS YOU TO WRITE ABOUT YOURSELF.

-IcE-

Post by -IcE- » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:46 pm

Death, taxes and a college education … taxes and a college education are inevitable, death is a matter of perspective. At the age of 17 I have seen the birth of the personal computer, the Internet, the cellular phone and satellite TV. These four innovations are arguable the greatest tools for education that man has invented. Only my parents can attest to the time and effort I have put forth mastering each of these technologies which are the tools of the future architect.

Yesterday’s architects were influenced by history just as I will be. However, yesterday’s architects lacked the ability to collaborate real time on a current design. With today’s technology we have the facilities to send a message or transmit a thought half way around the world easier and faster than a trip to the corner market.

I want to attend college not because my parents have such an expectation, although they do. I want to attend college because it offers the only gateway into my chosen career. I have developed a strong base of tools, but without college these tools cannot be used to their full potential.

Lacking a college education, it is impossible to succeed in a professional career. Additionally, many of today’s career opportunities are being sent to other countries. The work that remains available is only for those that have acquired the education to compete with technology. Architecture is a skill that requires creativity and dedication, both of which current technology supports but is in no way a substitute.

Although I hope to continue on to obtain a masters in architecture, I must start with a four year college education in a school that is accredited. A college respected by current day architects is a definite advantage.

I just hope this college wants me as much as I want this college.

Scott

How do you like this one?

Post by Scott » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:30 pm

For many years, I have been interested in studying architecture. My interest in pursuing this field stems from several factors which have affected me. First, I have been exposed to architecture from my uncle. I have grown up under the shadow of his influence. Second, I am fascinated by architecture. During the Northridge earthquake in 1994 my home was destroyed. I worked closely with the architect during the 2 years it took to restore my home. I believe, through the study of architecture I can effectively satisfy my curiosity in this fields. A third factor which has affected my interest in architecture is patriotism. As an architect I would not only have the opportunity to serve my country, but also have the chance to help bridge gaps between my country and others.

Finally, my interest in computers and design tools has focused my career goals. This experience has taught me to look for differences to compromise and similarities to synthesize in order to balance different design philosophies. I believe that my experiences in life, combined with a rigorous academic education, will enable me to pursue a successful career as a professional architect.

-IcE-

Here is my latest.

Post by -IcE- » Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:30 pm

Death, taxes and a college education … taxes and a college education are inevitable, death is a matter of perspective. At the age of 17 I have seen the birth of the personal computer, the Internet, the cellular phone and satellite TV. These four innovations are arguable the greatest tools for education that man has invented. CAD along with artistic creativity provides me with the tools necessary to compete on the highest level.

Yesterday’s architects were influenced by history just as I will be. However, yesterday’s architects lacked the ability to collaborate with each other in real time on a current design. With today’s technology we have the facility to send a message or transmit a thought half-way around the world more easily and more quickly than a trip to the corner market.

My interest in pursuing architecture stems from many factors, which have affected me. First, I have been exposed to architecture from my uncle. I have grown up under the shadow of his influence. Second, I am captivated by architecture. During the Northridge earthquake in 1994 my home was destroyed. I worked closely with the architect during the 2 years it took to restore my home. Third, I want to attend college because it offers the perfect gateway into my chosen career. I have developed a strong base of tools, but without college I can not use these tools to their full potential. My interest in computers and design tools has focused my career goals. This experience has taught me to look for diversity and similarity in order to balance different design philosophies.

Without a college education, I risk losing my chance to be an architect to someone, either here or in another country, who has acquired all the vital knowledge that a college education has to offer. Architecture is a skill that requires creativity and dedication, both of which current technology supports but is in no way a substitute.

Although I hope to continue on to obtain a master’s in architecture, I must start with a four year college education. The fact that the University of Oregon is respected by current day architects is a definite advantage.

I hope to live on through the designs of my buildings which the creation of such monumental structures, I will evade death. (Fix this please)

Scott

I like this one!

Post by Scott » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:21 pm

To be an architect is to create original works that I can call my own. I thus want to go to college for the following reasons:
When in the Course of career events, it becomes necessary for a student to dissolve the educational bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station that allows one to pursue a degree in architecture to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the major which impel them to this professional career.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that not all architects are created equal, that they are endowed by their creations with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are CAD, PowerPoint and Photoshop--That to secure these license keys, students are instituted among hackers, deriving their just powers from [url]http://www.cracks.am,[/url] --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these registration keys, it is the Right of the Student to alter or to abolish the need to register, and to hack the software laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their free and continued creative use of such technological tools. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that architectural students long established should not be charged for books and misc. equipement; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of computer crashes and memory overflows abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to be allowed into the college of their choice, and to provide new careers for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these future students; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former studies and career goals.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:41 pm

I like that one too!!! That was really funny...part of it sounds vaguely familiar...hmm I wonder why...It will come to me eventually!
LOL, yeah that was definitely good!!